From its beautiful location with cultural buildings, Grimsdalshytta affords a panoramic view of the Rondane mountains. Here in the Grims Valley, the terrain is open, and around the lodge there are many easy hikes. Grimsdalshytta was rebuilded in the summer of 2007, with a new main building supplementing the existing cultural buildings.
Grimsdalshytta is staffed at Easter and in summer. In the off season during the rest of the year, it offers self-service lodging, available by using the DNT cabin key.
The lodge has 54 bunks, in two-bunk and four-bunk rooms, a larger room and a dormitory. All bunks have duvets and pillows with covers. Please use your own hut sack. You can also put the duvet aside and sleep in your own sleeping bag. Hut sacks and bedclothes also are available for rent at the reception desk.
The lodge has a diesel generator (220 VAC). Nonetheless, it's wise to have a torch in your pack, because the generator is turned off around 23.00 in the evening. Privies, showers and a drying room are located in a separate building.
- Botanical tour on a T-marked trail at Haverdalen, Suitable for children.
- Tour to the meteor crater at Storberget.
- Cycle tour along Grimsdalsveien. Follow the old cattle track between Grimsdalshytta and Tollevshaugen. Along the way, you can view old cultural monuments, a reindeer hunting facility at Tverråå and Viking graves at Grimsa.
- A summit hike to Kattuglehøi at an elevation of 1553 m. From here, there's a panorama of the Alvdal mountains to the east and the Rondane to the south.
- If you want to try your luck at fishing, we recommend the Storvatnet lake or the Grimsa river that flows past the lodge. A local fishing licence can be bought at the lodge.
- The Bergseng Mountain Dairy is also worth visiting, as it's in full operation and has many animals.
Take a train to Dombås, where the warden can pick you up upon agreement in advance. Or you can take the morning express train from Oslo or Trondheim to Hjerkinn and then hike five hours in to the lodge. By car, drive on E6 to Dovre southeast of Dombås, and then take the toll road to the northeast past Einsethøi to Grimsdalshytta.
By car on E6 to Dovre, past Bjørkheim as far as the road is ploughed. Or by train to Dombås, where the warden can pick you up upon agreement in advance. Person and baggage transport from Bjørkheim, about 20 km along a staked route.
Opening times and service levels
|From||To||Service level||Key type|
|12.09.2016||30.04.2017||Self-service||DNT cabin key|
|18.4.2017||30.04.2017I||Self-service||DNT cabin key|
|11.06.2016||15.06.2016||Self-service||DNT cabin key|
|18.09.2016||31.12.2017||Self-service||DNT cabin key|